Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Amu

It's funny how things always fall in groups into my life. I'm on an India kick, Punjab in particular at the moment, and a movie about the massacre of Sikhs in 1984 happened to come to the top of my Netflix queue. I just got finished watching it.

It's called Amu.

I knew vaguely about the assassination of Indira Gandhi and that her Sikh bodyguards were blamed, but as this movie showed, there isn't a lot of information around on it, as the Indian government itself orchestrated the massacre of over 5,000 people over a three day period.

The movie was incredible. It was done as a mystery, and as it unfolded, I ended up in tears. I don't want to give any spoilers, but as a mother, the events that happened to one family made me go in and check on my kids.

I'll be doing a little bit of internet research to see what's out there about the subject now. But not tonight. I don't think I can take any more of this particularly brutal episode of history at the moment, especially in light of my newborn infatuation with Punjab and the Sikh culture. It's nearly bedtime and my subconscious rarely needs much convincing to bring on the zombie dreams.

There is a really good interview with the director of the film, Shonali Bose here.

I gave it 5 stars on Netflix, and I'm really picky. It's just that good a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment